November 6th, 2009 | brainjuice
- Oldest American artefact unearthed : Nature News
"The tool shows that people were living in North America well before the widespread Clovis culture of 12,900 to 12,400 years ago"
- Brazil crime wars: Spiderman’s story of drugs and Jesus in Rio’s slums | World news | The Guardian
""If you add them all up I control 15 communities," boasted Spiderman as his shiny 4×4 hurtled through the narrow backstreets of western Rio de Janeiro. Behind the wheel was Juarez Mendes da Silva, 28, one of the Brazilian capital's most wanted drug lords, better known by the nickname Spiderman. The words "Jesus" and "Christ" were tattooed on to his forearms in black. In the boot his pet dog, Bloodsucker, shared space with an M-16 assault rifle."
(tags:crime drugs pol )
- Detroit: Urban Laboratory and the New American Frontier | Newgeography.com
Not a lot new for Detroit watchers, but I love the phrase therein: "urban prairie"
- New podcast: Shift Run Stop ? Roo Reynolds
Roo says: "I?ve been working with Leila Johnston on a new thing. It?s a fortnightly podcast called Shift Run Stop and as she explains it?s ?an ambient soundscape sort of production, an undulation of chatter and noise, ideas, games and food?."
- re-inhabited circle-k?s – mammoth // building nothing out of something
"photographer Paho Mann documents the diverse array of stores that re-inhabit the empty shells abandoned by the national corporation Circle-K; the current lives of Circle-K's include "a dry cleaners, a couple of florist shops, a tattoo parlor, a tuxedo rental place, several mini-marts and dollar stores, and Bridgett?s Last Laugh Karaoke and Fish Fry." "
(tags:architecture culture )
- The Psychedelic Review Archives 1963-1971
"MAPS has posted PDF scans of The Psychedelic Review Archives 1963-1971."
(tags:magazine history drugs )