- Bees on cocaine: The facts
"The men, for reasons that seemed good to them at the time, got some bees hooked on cocaine and then turned them out to find some sugar. According to the boffins, cocaine turns good bees – productive members of the hive – into untrustworthy scumbags…"
(tags:sci drugs wtf ignobel )
- Brain transplant bird points to origin of communication – life – 20 October 2009 – New Scientist
"Creating chimeras with the higher brain of a songbird and the hindbrain of a non-singer may one day shed light on the evolution of birdsong, and even human speech."
(tags:sci comms )
- Gallery – Where will NASA send its astronauts next? – Image 1 – New Scientist
"The panel has created a menu of five plans for the space agency. It has given each 12 scores in various categories (PDF), including science benefits, safety, benefit to the US workforce and schedule. The committee says it will not assign single overall scores to the options in its final report, so New Scientist has ranked the five plans…"
(tags:space pol )
- Humans Are Still Evolving, Study
"Researchers in the US studying two generations of contemporary women found evidence of natural selection among humans that showed we are still evolving despite advances in medical care and standards of living"
- UFO alert: police officer sees aliens at crop circle – Telegraph
"A police officer contacted British UFO experts after seeing three aliens examining a freshly made crop circle near Avebury, Wiltshire."
(tags:cult weird ufo )
- Master mechanism behind regeneration of body parts discovered
"Using zebrafish as a model, researchers at the University of Michigan have discovered how the process of regeneration of body parts works."
(tags:med bodymod )
- Balloon boy’s father ‘wanted TV fame before world ends in 2012’ – Telegraph
"Richard Heene, the man suspected of the alleged "balloon boy" hoax, was driven by a conviction that the world will come to a cataclysmic end in 2012, according to a friend."
(tags:weird crime culture )
Links for 2009-10-21
Published in brainjuice