Skip to content →

Surgeons Light Patient’s Farts For Him

Flatulence is being blamed for bringing a hospital patient’s operation to a fiery end.

The man suffered minor burns in a brief but “dramatic” operating theatre fire. He had gone into the Southern Cross Hospital in Invercargill to have haemorrhoids, or piles, removed and was singed in the “exceedingly rare” incident involving his own gas.

“This was thought to be flatus containing methane igniting,” a health source told the Weekend Herald. “There was a sort of flashfire and that was it, but it was fairly alarming at the time….”

Published in researchmaterial

One Comment

  1. It’s standard procedure to stuff a wad of wet gauze up the patient’s butt during laser surgery or when using an electric scalpel; that should be the reason it’s “exceedingly rare.” If that precaution wasn’t taken, the patient could make trouble for the surgeon and the hospital.

Comments are closed.